Apr 2, 2010

Drawing Lessons

My dear friend Abigail gave me drawing lessons for my birthday! 
Lovingly and with patience she showed me the basics of drawing an oval and then a line down the center and another line across and a couple more for the nose and mouth. Showing me how to shade with a pencil and erase for highlights. I was amazed that when following some basic guidelines a face appears on the paper!
We have had two lessons.
drawing number one:


well, her eyes look a bit odd
and I don't care for her hair
the shading is too much
but I am amazed that with one lesson and a few hours of time
that a face comes to life
with the help of my dear friend Abigail!

Part of me wants to go back and change things
but for now I think I will just learn on a new drawing

drawing and lesson two:
(we used a photo of a woman for this drawing, the last one we made up as we went along)


I am much happier with this drawing.
I must say that as I begin, the drawing can look mighty terrible. 
With the use of an eraser and looking at details over and over again
a face slowly comes into (a certain amount of) balance. 

Drawing number three,
this one I did alone and looking at a photo.
My lovely art teacher has not seen this one yet:


I am having so much fun!

A couple of years ago I drew Little Miss Tipi
I would like to use her as a character for a children's book,
but for the life of me I can not recreate her. 
I am thinking that if i learn some basics like I am in these drawings, 
I might be able to draw Little Miss Tipi doing all the different things she does through out her day. 
Time will tell.
The good news is: Everyone can learn to draw!

Wishing you all a wonderful Easter weekend!
~

11 comments:

  1. dear Tammie! What a lovely new blog and new drawing from our lessons!! You are doing amazingly!! Such lovely, sweet faces, reflecting the artist's heart!!
    looking forward to our next lesson!!
    xoxox abigail

    http://rustedwingsstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Abigail,
    Thank you for your lovely visit,
    your wonderful drawing lessons, your friendship and love!
    namaste'
    xx
    t

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift! And how well you are doing!

    I was terrified of drawing and one year, asked an artist friend to give me a few lessons. I did alright, but it still frightens me - I simply cannot see things in 2 dimensions and he explained to me that I see negative space. Perhaps one of these days, I'll attempt lessons again...

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    xoxo

    ~Delphyne

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~wow...three lessons and thats what you have achieved...may i have some lessons too!! absolutely l♥vely portraits drawn...keep at it...i think you may have a natural hand at this too...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great drawings. It is amazing how quickly you have learned. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Delphyne,

    It is a wonderful gift. I am sure my results are due to the keen eyes and loving guidance of Abigail. She is a very talented artist.
    I was on You Tube yesterday looking at drawing lessons, there are so many! All the teachers say we have to practice. Anyone can draw, but lots of practice. So if you like the idea, then lessons speeds it up and practice. I figure there is no time like now for anything I want to do.

    wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    Tammie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Abigail is a wonderful artist and teacher! I am completely surprised at what two lessons have done for me.
    I will keep at it, it is fun and exciting for now.

    wishing you a lovely weekend.

    xo

    Hi Bill,

    thank you for stopping by. This is a new blog and it amazes me when someone new finds me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful gift, indeed!
    Keep going.... Miss Tipi will materialize sooner than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's marvelous -- you are drawing so well, right from the start! The lessons must have awakened a real talent in you....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a very pretty picture.

    I thank for your always admiring my calligraphy.
    I am glad that I was able to meet a good understanding person you.

    From the Far East.
    Best regards.
    ruma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joei,
    Thank you for your encouragement, it helps me to believe it will be so.

    James,
    Thank you for your supportive comment. It is really fun to see results so fast. All the teachers I have heard, say practice practice practice.

    Ruma,
    I enjoy your art very much. Thank you for visiting my new blog!

    Tammie

    ReplyDelete

So lovely of you to drop by! I love hearing from you~